Monday 14 September 2009

Boring

(By Richard Holway 6.00pm Thursday 14th Sept 09) Last week I was at the offices of the Financial Times on Southwark Bridge recording a podcast for release later this week when I bumped into Alan Cane. Alan was the Technology Correspondent at the FT for many years and I got to know him well. In 1992 he called me for my views on Admiral's results. "Boringly consistent" I replied. Next morning this was printed as Holway thinks Admiral's results are boring! From this was born my Holway Boring Awards - only given to quoted companies with uninterrupted earnings growth over at least a 10 year period. Sage and Capita are the only companies still to have their Boring Awards. Which shows how prestigeous they have become.

I was reminded of this today when I was sent a link asking would I apply for a job at Boring Business Systems in Florida? Well, it looks like it really exists as does its founder Mr Boring! As you can see on http://www.boring.com/ you too can "Find Everything Boring".
Frankly, the last two years has meant that Boring companies are looked upon with a whole new level of respect. I still love Boring! It's a great accolade. But whether Boring Business Systems will ever get a Holway Boring Award is questionable!

No comments:

Post a Comment