Tuesday 14 April 2009

iCloud

(by Richard Holway 11.00pm 14th Apr 09) You will no doubt remember my many articles about MyTop over the last two years. Basically, with so many Internet Devices, I can’t afford the hassle of local data storage - let alone local apps. I need to sign in (on any ID) to MyTop which gives me full access to my data, my photos, my music, my contacts, my apps, my social network sites etc. I made the point that Facebook was a good start point for MyTop and even suggested that it would therefore make a good purchase for Microsoft as their consumer portal to the Cloud.

A reader today sent me a link to the ‘free’ iCloud service (launched last week– for more details see their press release) which, on the surface, has many of the characteristics of MyTop. The ‘problem’ I see with it (apart from its very limited 3 gig storage) is that I’d really like access to all the things I am used to – like Microsoft Office, Apple's iTunes, Facebook etc. A good start perhaps, but still a long way to go!

I doubt is any small startup could produce a viable MyTop. I really see this coming from Microsoft, Google or one of the majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment