Monday 16 March 2009

British IT Jobs for British IT Workers? - Part 2

(By Richard Holway 5.00pm 16th March 09) The post on British IT jobs for British IT Workers on 9th March continues to create much feedback. Indeed we are preparing a follow-up article in the next few days.

However, I was extremely interested in another comment from Duncan Chapple, who runs Lighthouse Analyst Relations. He sent me a link to this article in this week’s Economist Why immigration is good for America’s business. “Vivek Wadhwa of Duke University notes that 52% of Silicon Valley start-ups were founded by immigrants, up from around a quarter ten years ago.”

The article also reproduces the chart below which I am sure many readers will find stimulating! I do not know what the equivalent figures are for the UK but immigrants tend to be great ‘small business founders’ here too. On the other hand, I haven’t noticed a rush of new tech businesses being founded in the UK in the last 5+ years – a period of unprecedented immigration into the UK.

Footnote – I try not to reproduce other people’s charts without permission. Can I just repeat that I respect the Economist’s or any other party’s copyright in this chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment