Monday 2 March 2009

Facebook and Twitter to merge?

(By Richard Holway - 11.30am 2nd March 09) I note several articles have appeared that perpetuate the rumour that Facebook and Twitter are in talks about a possible merger. Businessweek today leads with an interview with Peter Thiel (Facebook director and big investor) Also see Twitter and Facebook share a lot and are said to be talking in VentureBeat.

I’ve written about both Facebook and Twitter possibly more times than any other subjects. See my 2nd Feb 2008 – Facebook – Now we are Five. Although I think that the logic of a Facebook/Twitter merger is impeccable – in that the the main appeal of both is their Status updates – neither has any sensible revenue model yet. As I have said countless times, if I was Microsoft I would buy BOTH and make them the MyTop of choice – the gateway to the Cloud, MSN and therefore Microsoft SaaS offerings. It could start in the consumer arena and who knows where it could lead in the enterprise.

I’ll settle for 1% of the deal when it happens…

No comments:

Post a Comment