Tuesday 17 March 2009

McKinsey joins the Twitterers

(By Richard Holway 9.00am 17th March 09) I am indebted to reader Sherry Coutu for bringing to my attention an article in yesterday’s econsultancy - McKinsey blesses Twitter usage for suits.

McKinsey’s “global Web 2.0 survey finds only 34 percent of companies actively maintained a blog. Only 28 percent used social networking tools such as Twitter and Facebook. Every company surveyed plans to spend more on social media, mostly to add to customer service. But the biggest statement is McKinsey's own active solicitation of tweets about the survey as it was developing”.

Most would admit that McKinsey has been built on home grown knowledge – in particular from its alumni. So social networking is an obvious enabling tool. "McKinsey has a Facebook page. Its consultants have Twitter handles, and its thought leadership publications now have obvious blog interfaces."

As for my own Twitter experiment, I’ve decided to prolong it. Most said two weeks was too short. But so far I am seriously unimpressed. Maybe I’m following the wrong people – but I’ve taken up every suggestion HotViews readers have sent in. I’ve gathered hundreds of followers for some reason although my posts are irregular. I still can’t get over the sheer dross that most of these seemingly intelligent people post. Why the BBC’s technology correspondent thinks I’m interested in what he has for supper is beyond me. The Guardian’s technology correspondent seems to post a dozen tweets an hour – and most of these are banal. Life is seriously too short to wade through this sea of flotsam and jetsam in the hope of finding a pearl of wisdom

No comments:

Post a Comment