Tuesday 27 October 2009

iPhone - the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

(By Richard Holway 5.00pm Tuesday 27th Oct 09) We get many emails from readers here at TechMarketView. Most we cannot publish for various reasons. But Jane Tozer (who many of you will know well) has agreed to the publication of the email below – which we think is priceless!!

Hi Richard

Your piece today about
MyTop Revisited reminded me of the thought I had while brushing my teeth this morning, namely that the iPhone is effectively (among other things) The Book from the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

It's the ultimate reference book about anything in the Galaxy, wherever I am! It tells me 'grown up' things such as trains running late or motorways being blocked, news and views from the BBC and Time, share price updates and so on. But it also tells me fun things such as what stars and planets I am looking at, and gives me info about them. It gives me maps and a compass good enough to navigate by on a walk. It tells me what music I am listening to and where I can buy it, and if it is from a film or TV programme I can link and find all the info I want about the show, the actors, the director and so on. I have the complete works of Shakespeare in it, and Wikipedia, and the London A-Z, and a free emergency coin-tossing app for those moments when you just have to toss a coin but don't have one to hand!

My iPhone also has ~8,000 personal photos on it, and I can pass any of these + other stuff to any fellow iPhone user I meet with a mere Bump of our phones.

I can upload updates, either for the whole world in Wikipedia or to share things with selected people (eg I am using DropBox to share interesting Radio 4 programmes with my son, pictures of a walk with a friend, and crucial files with a colleague, all for free). And with the free Skype app I can make free international phone calls. And so on and on - as you can see I am a total convert!

Arthur C Clarke invented geo-stationary satellites ahead of their time, Douglas Adams invented the iPhone

Best wishes

Jane E Tozer

No comments:

Post a Comment