Sunday 21 June 2009

Redacted

(By Richard Holway 6.00pm 21st June 09) I’ve learnt a new word this week. The word ‘redact’ has never appeared in anything I have written over the last 23 years (I know because I have everything searchable on my PC). One reason might be that it doesn’t actually appear in my trusty Pocket Oxford Dictionary!

In a way, that’s strange because, of course, I’ve ‘redacted’ every day in the last 23 years. Indeed, that’s exactly what I am doing today for UKHotViews - as 'to redact' means ‘to prepare for publication’.

Over recent years, 'to redact' has come to mean documents with large areas blacked out so that so-called confidential information cannot be seen. But, from last week, redact will be forever after a word linked with dodgy politicians and their even more dodgy expense claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment